WA Election 2013 WALGA Issues
In the lead up to the State Election in March 2013, WA Local Govt Association (WALGA) has issued a list of local issues that the major parties are requested to prioritise (Western Councillor, Oct/Nov 2012, page 12):
- Container deposit legislation
- 100% Hypothecation waste levy – the full cost is being carried by ratepayers. fund generated throught the Waste Avoidance Resource Recovery Levy are not being spent on direct waste management which raises $39million meant to assist local govt.
- Swan Canning priority plan – part of the Swan River wellbeing plan which is currently unfunded and requires $50million to implement
- Local government reform on a voluntary basis
- Underground power
- Crime prevention diversity officers
- Community sporting and recreation facilities funding (CSRFF)
- Pensioner discounts on waste charges
- Partnership agreement and consultation protocol
- Increased funding for local roads – grain freight priority plan
- Infrastructure services – small town sewerage, power and water
- Rural community policing
WALGA will be creating a website to highlight party responses and also provide all Mayors and Presidents with the opportunity to raise local issues in an uploaded video message.
A link will be placed on this blog as soon as it becomes available.
UPATE: The WALGA link is now available here: http://whatsinitforyou.asn.au/