Mayor Henderson on Subiaco Developments
This interview with Mayor Heather Henderson highlights Council’s position on cinemas, hotels and markets in Subiaco:
500 – 502 Hay Street, Subiaco
- development plan for cinemas and 200 bed hotel
- A non-complying development seeking very large concessions beyond the town planning scheme and associated policies. For concessions to be granted it must benefit the community. This development appears to improve amenity of the surrounding community.
- The design panel have pointed out that the bulk and scale of the proposed heights could work provided the design elements are attended to.
- As a land mark building it should capture the elements of Subiaco’s heritage and character design features.
- The design must say Subiaco, not Tokyo as 17 Railway Road Subiaco has been referred to by the DAP panel member Malcolm MacKay, ref. The Post dated 3 December 2011, p.3
Demolition by neglect
Pavilion Markets site, Rokeby Road, Subiaco
- Currently undergoing demolition by neglect.
- Council has moved to negotiate with the owner to reinstate the markets on the site