People Power – the political solution
In the March 2013 election, Premier Barnett’s Liberal government won a decisive majority in the state poll, marginalising the Nationals (ref. Crikey.com.au, 11 March 2013). It was a blow for communities campaigning against forced council amalgamations.
The decisive win was treated as somewhat of a mandate to reduce Perth metropolitan councils and commence some of Western Australia’s controversial projects.
Since then a lot has changed.
The Premier underestimated the people power of Western Australia. They have found their voice as a political solution against a majority government with stunning results:
- Pay rise campaign for Nurses – Barnett backflip February 2013
- Removal of solar panel tariff – Barnett backflip August 2013
- Shark cull – backdown October 2014
- Reduce metropolitan councils from 30 to 16 – run up the white flag February 2015
- Closure of WA remote communities – back down May 2015
- Perth Freight Link second section to Fremantle – shelved November 2015
Now with a few wins under their belt, people power are rallying together to force a political solution for these projects:
and much more.
Don’t feel disheartened that nothing will change. Be part of the people power movement for political solutions. Join a campaign or start one.
Cottesloe Beach rally against shark cull