REPRESENTING SUBIACO, SHENTON PARK, DAGLISH AND JOLIMONT
A new memorial in memory of the Irish women who came to Western Australia has been jointly commissioned by Subiaco Council and the Western Australian Irish Famine Commemoration Committee Inc chaired by Fred Rea.
Not long after Western Australia was settled by Europeans in 1829, shiploads of young Irish women left destitute by the Great Irish Famine were transported to the colonies where men outnumbered women by 10 to 1 in the outback (ref. Tintean 2014).
The Great Irish Famine known in Ireland as An Gorta Mor (The Great Hunger) occurred between 1845 and 1848 as a result of the potato blight disease which devastated crops that up to a third of the Irish population depended upon as a staple food. The potato crop failure left one million dead and two million emigrating to England, Scotland, the United States, Canada and Australia over the following two decades.
During the Great Famine over 4,000 young orphan girls were carefully selected and transported as free migrants on what became known as the Famine Bride Ships. These girls and women became mothers and matriarchs to generations of Western Australian families.
Subiaco is a natural location for the memorial. It is the spiritual home of the Irish Community with St Joseph’s church, a place to celebrate St Patrick’s Day at Subiaco Oval in past decades from 1910 to 1950s, and home to the Irish Club of Western Australia. Many streets of Subiaco are named after Irish settlers and missionaries – McCabe Lane, Cashel Lane, Catherine Street, Charles Street, Clare Lane, Dublin Close, Edenderry Terrace, Hackett Drive, Robinson Street, Bridget Road, Tipperary Mews, Townshend Road, Peel Street, and Wexford Street.
The memorial will put Subiaco on par with Melbourne and Sydney and be part of a global network of Famine memorial sites including New York, Boston, Toronto and around Ireland.
Designer and Sculptor: Smith Sculptors, Aisling Studios, www.smithsculptors.com